History & Heritage

Forester’s Hall & Post Office Building

Property Details

James Pinchot, 1904, (Eclectic) A monumental, 2 1/2 story, masonry building designed by Hunt & Hunt (successor firm of Richard Morris Hunt). His son, Gifford, was a proponent of forestry study. In conjunction with Pinchot’s Grey Towers this is considered the birthplace of the Conservation Movement. At one time it was the summer school for Yale University School of Forestry. The first five chiefs of the U.S. Forest Service were all either instructors or students at the Forest Hall. Built by E. S. Wolfe, it is listed individually on the National Register. There are massive chimneys at each end of a recently restored slate roof. Four hipped dormers with French windows face the front and back of the building. The ground floor is ashlar, commonly known as bluestone. A string of store windows are separated by large doors to the upper story and Forest Hall. Of special interest is the two-story, round oriel window on the corner of the façade complete with pendant and finial

Photos by Preston Ehrler Photography, prestonehrler.com | jpehrler@gmail.com