The Delmonico Room
The Delmonico Room at the Hotel Fauchère features fine regional American cuisine in an elegant and traditional setting.
The Delmonico Room is named after Louis Fauchère’s friends, the Delmonico brothers, who owned the famous Delmonico’s restaurant in New York in the mid 19th century, where Louis Fauchère was a master chef before opening the Hotel Fauchere in 1852. Like Fauchère, the Delmonicos were French-speaking natives of Switzerland.
Until the early 19th century, what we think of today as “fine dining” was only available in private homes or private clubs. A hotel or tavern might serve food, but it was offered as an accommodation to their guests or travelers. After the French Revolution, enough of a middle and upper-middle class emerged to support free-standing culinary destinations.
The Delmonico brothers brought this emerging Parisian “a la carte” dining trend to the U.S., opening in New York in the late 1820s.
Delmonico’s established one of the first truly American culinary traditions, and introduced many dishes that are well-known today. They “invented” the hamburger as a sandwich, as well as Lobster Newburg, Lobster Thermidor, potatoes au gratin, Eggs Benedict and, of course, the famed (and mouthwatering) Delmonico cut of steak.