Old Jail House
1814 (Folk) This vernacular structure is side-gabled with masonry of rubble stone. It is the second oldest courthouse in Pennsylvania and served in that capacity until 1874 when the present courthouse was completed. For many years the building served as the County Jail. Look closely for the five windows that have been filled in with stone to prevent prisoners from escaping. (Of course, that didn’t stop them!) Note the new state fish weathervane, a brook trout, atop the hexagonal cupola.