History & Heritage

Ebenezer Warner House

Property Details

2 1/2-story eclectic residence of wood frame construction, with hipped roof and extending gable-roofed pavilion. Original veranda was replaced ca. 1950 with triangular portico with classically-derived ornament, whose detailing suggests that they may have been salvaged from the veranda when it was removed. Three-bay façade with main entrance offset on the left. Pavilion extension on right side has one-story bay window capped with a turned balustrade. Exterior shutters, generally mounted outside the window surrounds. Gable dormer on façade, with segmental-arched window and corresponding shutters. Built for Ebenezer Warner (1819-1904), one of the area’s first scientific farmers, who, despite initial ridicule for his testing of soils prior to planting, eventually became known as the “Potato and Cabbage King.” Warner was also one of the founders of the First National Bank of Milford in 1900. His descendants occupied the home into the 1950’s. (1890-91)

Photos by Preston Ehrler Photography, prestonehrler.com | jpehrler@gmail.com